Monday, September 8, 2008

Deep Learning

The first site was good because it has a lot of colors and graphics that kids would find fun or fascinating. It also uses great examples right from the beginning that kids can relate to. Talking about the candy hearts or how the origin of emotions coming from our heart and why. They keep the terms and jargon simple to keep keeps at pace with what's going on.

I think there could have been some more interesting pictures and graphics to help those who are visual learners, but overall I really think the site is done well.

Like I said, keeping the terminology and vocabulary simple and giving the students examples they can relate to and understand will help them have deep thinking. You could have students take the main vocabulary words on the page and go to the glossary and find their definition and then re-write the definition in their own words.

http://www.smm.org/heart/heart/top.html

I enjoyed that the site is colorful and have clickable links on the graphics to understand that point of the water cycle. When clicking on a part of the cycle, it shows a graphic that is the same from the main page, so it doesn't get confusing by going to a new page. I also like how they give clickable terms for words like precipitation and evaporation, so that if a student doesn't know what the term is, they can click on it to find out more.

I think with how well the site is put together, they could have had a bigger graphic that was a little more interactive. Besides for the graphic, there isn't much given for visual learners. Having a graphic that moves to show the water cycle in action would be a great way to help those who learn visually.

I would have my students go through and use the site on their own and learn about the water cycle. Then use the site to know the differences in evaporation, transpiration, infiltration, and precipitation. They all have very different and important structures in the water structure and I'd want the students to understand what the differences are.

1 comment:

Dr. Butcher said...

Hi Christar,

Can you add a link to the second site you discuss?

I like your idea for the first site of having students rewrite their own definitions -- perhaps they could even work together on a "kid-friendly" glossary for younger grades.

Can you think of some similar ways that you could use the textbase information gleaned from a second site to support constructive activities?

Good job on this activity.